6060 Primacy Parkway, Suite 100
Memphis, Tennessee 38119
Email: jkwalsh [at] harrisshelton [dot] com
Kevin Walsh is a highly experienced attorney having represented hundreds of property owners in cases involving the taking of property by governmental authorities exercising the power of eminent domain. The eminent domain process is complicated, and the laws surrounding it are not always easy to interpret. For more than 35 years, Kevin has advised his clients on eminent domain procedures in a clear, objective and thoughtful manner while working to protect their best interests and constitutional rights. In addition to his work with property owners, he also has significant experience representing governmental authorities in eminent domain proceedings.
He is the Tennessee member of Owners’ Counsel of America, a national association of leading eminent domain attorneys across the United States. He frequently shares his experience with others by lecturing on eminent domain issues at various seminars in the region and is the author of "A Property Owner’s Guide to the Condemnation Process and Just Compensation in the State of Tennessee."
Kevin also focuses his practice in land use litigation, general civil litigation, environmental law and probate and estate litigation. He has represented municipalities concerning annexations of property and land issues, as well as tried a number of jury and non-jury cases in both state and federal courts. Additionally, Kevin has litigated cases related to issues under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, the Tennessee Hazardous Waste Act and Environmental Site Assessments.
Professional Honors and Activities
- Best Lawyers in America
- Martindale Hubbell – AV rating
- American Bar Association, member
- Memphis Bar Association, member
- Owners’ Counsel of America, Tennessee Member
- Tennessee Bar Association, member
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Author, "A Property Owner’s Guide to the Condemnation Process and Just Compensation in the State of Tennessee."
- Speaker, ALI-CLE Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Seminar, Austin, TX, January 2016
- Speaker, National Business Institute Eminent Domain From Start to Finish Seminar, December 2011
- Speaker, Condemnation 101 – Making the Complex Simple in Eminent Domain sponsored by the American Law Institute - American Bar Association, February 2011
- Speaker on eminent domain, Chicago Title/Ticor Title Insurance Companies Seminar, July 2008
- Speaker on eminent domain, Tennessee Land Law for Civil Engineers and Land Surveyors Seminar, January 2008
- Speaker on Eminent Domain in Tennessee sponsored by the Memphis Bar Association, 2007
- Speaker on Eminent Domain in Tennessee sponsored by the Memphis Bar Association and Chicago Title Insurance Company, March 2005
- Speaker, Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation Seminar sponsored by the American Law Institute and American Bar Association, January 2005
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Diploma, 1985
- The University of Tennessee, J.D., 1980
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., cum laude, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1981
- Supreme Court of Tennessee, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee, 1980