6060 Primacy Parkway, Suite 100
Memphis, Tennessee 38119
Email: kkoplon [at] harrisshelton [dot] com
Karen Koplon is uniquely positioned to represent physicians, hospitals, nursing homes, nurses and health care providers in professional negligence cases. She is the daughter of a physician and married to a physician. These relationships provide Karen with a unique perspective on the human side of the practice of medicine as well as an understanding that medicine is not an exact science. Her detail orientated personality combined with her intellectual curiosity has enabled her to attract a following of clients and the respect of her peers. Karen has over 24 years of experience handling professional negligence cases for various health care providers, with multiple jury trials in both federal and state court.
In addition to her health care practice, Karen also handles premises liability cases and general insurance defense matters. Karen understands the need to protect the assets of a business owner faced with an insurance claim. Her ability to listen to the facts and then discern the best path towards resolution is appreciated by her clients. Insurance companies appreciate Karen’s responsiveness as well as her ability to move cases towards resolution in an efficient manner. She has tried multiple premise liability cases with excellent results for her client and has obtained summary judgment in many of these cases, saving her clients time and money, numerous times for insurance companies facing other general liability claims.
A wife and mother, she and her husband, Michael, a physician, have two daughters, Samantha and Alyssa. Karen enjoys traveling and discovering new places and cultures. She is a passionate fan of the Memphis Grizzles and can often be seen at the FedEx Forum cheering loudly for her home team. She is involved in her community as well, serving on the board of the JCC in Memphis.
Professional Honors and Activities
- Martindale Hubbell rating - AV® Preeminent™
- Memphis Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Memphis Bar Association, Member and Chair of the Fee Dispute Committee
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
Representative Appellate Cases
- Logian v. Morisy, 2016 Tenn. App. LEXIS 586, (Tenn. Ct. App. Aug.11, 2016)
- Dickson v. Kriger, 2014 Tenn. App. LEXIS 870, (Tenn. Ct. App. Dec. 30, 2014)
- Holland v. City of Memphis, 125 S. W. 3d 425, (Tenn. Ct. App. 2003)
- Jones v. Methodist Healthcare, 83 S.W. 3d 739 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2001)
- Tuggle v. AMISUB, Inc., 2000 Tenn. App. LEXIS 795, (Tenn. Ct. App. Nov. 21, 2000)
- Smith v. Methodist Hosps. Of Memphis, 995 S.W. 2d 584 (Tenn. Ct. App. 1999)
- The University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D., 1993
- The University of Maryland, College Park, B.A., political science, 1990
- Tennessee, 1993
- Arkansas, 1994
- U.S. District Court of Western District of Tennessee