829 N. Lamar Blvd, Suite 2
Oxford, Mississippi 38655
Email: bwest [at] harrisshelton [dot] com
Mr. West uses his diverse litigation background to provide cost effective litigation, regulatory, compliance, and dispute resolution strategies for clients.
As a litigator in private practice, Mr. West has worked in a wide array of industries and fields, including complex commercial litigation, construction, healthcare, financial, oil and gas service, personal injury, toxic mass tort, and criminal defense. As former in-house counsel, Mr. West served as risk management counsel for a Fortune 500 oil and gas services company.
Mr. West received both his bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctorate at the University of Mississippi and practiced in Oxford, MS. At Ole Miss, Mr. West served as a judicial intern and research assistant for the Honorable Michael P. Mills for the Northern District of Mississippi. Mr. West began his practice at Holcomb Dunbar Watts Masters & Golman, P.A., before relocating to Houston, Texas, where he worked for two of the most prestigious global law firms in the world – Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP and Reed Smith LLP. After over 4 years practicing in Houston, he returned to Oxford in January 2017 to join Harris Shelton Hanover Walsh, PLLC. Mr. West is originally from Memphis, Tennessee, and is licensed to practice in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas.
Professional Honors and Activities
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, 2014-2016
- Houston Bar Association, 2014-2016
- Kids In Need of Defense (KIND), pro bono attorney, 2015-2016
- Lafayette County Bar Association, Secretary (2011) and Treasurer (2012)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2011-2012
- Tri-City Young Lawyers Division, member
Publications and Presentations
- “Crude by Rail: DOT Publishes Amended Regulations for Rail Transport” – co-author, May 2015
- Mediation Clinic Presentation for Reed Smith Summer Clerks - author and co-presenter, 2013-2015
- Mississippi, 2009
- Tennessee, 2009
- Texas, 2013
- All State and Federal Courts - Mississippi
- All State Courts - Tennessee
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Tennessee
- All State Courts - Texas
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fifth Circuit
- University of Mississippi School of Law, 2009, J.D.
- Outstanding Student Award Civil Procedure II
- Finalist for Tom Mason Award for Excellence in Federal Trial Practice
- Law School Student Body Vice President (2008-2009)
- Law School Student Body Senator (2007-2008)
- University of Mississippi, 2006, B.A. in business administration with emphasis in marketing