6060 Primacy Parkway, Suite 100
Memphis, TN 38119
dmonypeny [at] harrisshelton [dot] com
David Monypeny has been a practicing attorney for over 30 years with extensive experience representing a wide variety of clients, including world renowned entertainers and professional athletes, in federal tax controversies. David has assisted thousands of clients in the successful elimination of tens of millions of dollars in taxes. He is skilled in matters involving both federal and state tax controversy, tax planning, international/offshore tax, bankruptcy, and business planning. David founded the Law Offices of Monypeny and Associates, PC and he grew it to include offices in Memphis, Nashville and Destin Florida. Because of his wealth of experience as both an attorney and a Certified Public Accountant, David is often invited to speak and write about tax-related issues to fellow tax professionals.
David became a member of Harris Shelton Hanover and Walsh PLLC in 2017 to complement and expand the firm’s practice in all areas of tax controversy for the benefit of its clients.
When David is not advocating for his clients, he is active in numerous charitable organizations including, Life Without Limbs, Operation Smile, Life Church and Soar Doggy Rescue. David also very much enjoys spending time with his family and dogs and is an amateur drone pilot.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Client Distinction Award, presented by Lawyers.com & Martindale.com (2015)
- Listed in Who’s Who in America
- Featured in Worth Magazine, The London Times, The Seattle Times, CNN, The Atlantic, Fortune, ABC News, CNBC, The Commercial Appeal
- Tax Attorney of the Year, presented by the Memphis Business Review (2000)
- Bankruptcy Attorney of the Year (1999)
- American Bar Association, Member
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
- Memphis Bar Association, Member
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Mr. Monypeny is a prolific speaker and writer, having delivered several speeches, articles, and videos on topics including state sales and use taxes, tax controversy, and the ability to bankrupt taxes
- Speaker – “Multistate Corporate Sales and Use Tax: Start-to-Finish," National Business Institute Seminar (November 2015)
- Speaker – “Sales and Use Tax in Tennessee,” National Business Institute Seminar (October 2014)
- Author – “Wiping Out Taxes You Can’t Afford to Pay”
- The University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Oklahoma University, B.A., 1980
- Attorney, Tennessee, 1983
- Certified Public Accountant (Inactive), Tennessee, 1983