Downtown Memphis Office
Memphis, Tennessee 38103
Email: jgriffin [at] harrisshelton [dot] com
Managing legal issues which arise as healthcare provider can be overwhelming. Mr. Griffin understands this, and with nearly two decades of experience representing hospitals, physicians, advanced practice providers and other healthcare professionals, he partners with his clients to find practical solutions to these complex problems. He has assisted his clients with credentialing and privileging, drafting medical staff bylaws, representation before peer review panels, billing and compliance issues, risk management and has defended clients in medical malpractice matters in both federal and state court. Mr. Griffin is recognized by Best Lawyers of America in the fields of Healthcare Litigation and Medical Malpractice Defense. He is also a member of the American Healthcare Lawyers Association as well as the National Association of Medical Staff Services.
Beyond health care, Mr. Griffin represents small and mid-sized businesses and their owners in disputes both within their business, as well as with third parties. These matters include non-compete and non-solicitation enforcement, insurance claims and coverage disputes, breach of contract disputes, and debt collection.
When he is not battling for his clients, you will often find him at a ballgame with his children and his wife Heather. He is also a founding Board Member of TEN45 and has previously served on the Board and as an officer of JIFF as its Board Secretary. He is a proud graduate of the University of Tennessee School of Law and is also a member of the Tennessee, Mississippi and Memphis Bar Association.
Professional Honors and Activities
- Best Lawyers, Litigation - Health Care, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, and Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- University of Memphis School of Law- Health Law Institute Advisory Board Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- National Association Medical Staff Services, Affiliate Member
- DRI, Member
- American Society of Healthcare Risk Management, Member
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
- Memphis Bar Association, Member
- Urlaub v. Select Specialty Hospital-Memphis, Inc., 2011 WL 255281 WL 255281 (Tenn.Ct.App. January 20, 2011)
- Lovelace v. Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis, No. W2019-00453-COA-R-CV (Tenn.Ct.App. January 16, 2020)
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, J.D., 2000
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, B.A. political science and psychology, 1997
- Tennessee, 2000
- Mississippi, 2019
- United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee