40 S. Main St., Suite 2210
Memphis, Tennessee 38103
Email: pvarela [at] harrisshelton [dot] com
Pablo Varela’s brings his diverse background and life experiences to his practice. His practice is varied, but he spends the majority of his time in the area of bankruptcy and debt restructuring. In addition, he enjoys practicing in the areas of commercial litigation, labor and employment law and workers’ compensation. Mr. Varela also has considerable experience representing the local election commission in election challenge litigation.
Whether it is in civil court representing clients with contract disputes, landlord-tenant clashes, premises liability issues or business disagreements, he brings his passion, litigation experience and unique ability to understand issues to each matter and client. Prior to Harris Shelton, he was an assistant county attorney with the Shelby County Attorney’s Office where his practice focused on tort and civil rights defense, municipal law, and employment law.
In 2017, Mr. Varela co-drafted the Amicus brief to the United States Supreme Court on behalf of Tennessee Legislators in what some call the most important case of the Court’s 2017 term. In the Gill v. Whitford case, the Court again took up the issue of partisan gerrymandering as it relates to state legislative districts.
Originally from Bueno Aires, Argentina, Mr. Varela’s Hispanic background and culture has been influential in shaping his commitment to his community. He speaks fluent Spanish and some Portuguese. Over the years, he has been involved with many multinational and Hispanic organizations that strive to serve and help the Latino and Hispanic communities in Memphis. As a long-time Memphis resident, he is passionate about community development and relationship building among the various local communities.
Mr. Varela is an active attendee of First Evangelical Church where he helps lead his adult Sunday school class and also teaches five and six-year-olds with his wife in the children’s ministry.
Professional Honors and Activities
- American Inn of Court, associate member
- Memphis Bar Association, member
- Tennessee Bar Association, member
- Multi-National Ministries, board member
- Exchange Club Family Center, board member 2014-2016
- National Hispanic Professionals Organization, board member 2013-2014
- Memphis Bar Association Government Lawyers section, chairman, 2011-2012
- Memphis Bar Association Professionalism Committee 2019-present
- Memphis Area Legal Services - Access to Justice 2011 & 2012 Capital Campaigns
- The University of Memphis, B.B.A in management of information systems, 2003
- The University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphrey’s School of Law, J.D., 2010
- Tennessee, 2010